Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Moving up to premium

For most of the time I've been a runner my nutrition has been an after thought. I knew it could make a difference - but, for whatever reason I just haven't made it a priority. Given that I have a friend in our running group who is a nutritionist (Melissa Bosslet) and that I'll need every trick in the bag to get under 2:30 at Boston - I decided to set up an appointment to get myself a plan.

Melissa works for EB Nutrition in Rockville, MD and she happens to be a great runner - which was important to me, because I wanted someone who knows what I'd need given my marathon training.

I filled in a food diary for three days before we met - and then we talked about what I thought I needed improvement on as well as my goals and amount of exercise. She determined that I would need at least 3,000 calories per day, that I needed to cut sugar, combine carbs with protein, eat smaller portions more often throughout the day, add variety, add more fish etc . . .

She gave me a list of suggested foods to eat as well as avoid - and sample meals for my week. In my first grocery visit I spent an insane amount of money - but, there were a lot of staples that I won't need to buy every week. Other than a few days in Miami, I've remained true to the diet and it's already showing results. This morning I had my best tempo workout in a very long time (4X2 mi; ~11 min per) only two days after running a decent effort at the Miami Half-marathon. So, if you want to see what you can really accomplish I suggest you find someone like Melissa to help you out.

3 comments:

RM said...

Whaa?!! 5:30 pace in the snow for 8 total miles?? That's really awesome man, you're really making some big improvements.

Mel said...

I'm glad you are feeling good and running well! That is super exciting. Thanks for the props!

THE KRIS said...

that's strong work ben, i'm looking forward to boston, even if i'm not running.