Sunday, February 21, 2010

When yer head gets twisted and yer mind grows numb

Feeling unable to face the still clogged streets of Baltimore and with no options for trail running - I did something I don't usually need to do while running in Baltimore - I tried to find a new running route on the USATF website. I settled on an area that I haven't explored too much - Loch Raven Reservoir. The Reservoir is the main source of Baltimore's drinking water. Nestled in the hills just north of York - the area offers woods and farms less than 10 miles from downtown.
I started in the parking lot of the Hampton National Historic Park just off I-695. The park preserves a huge Georgian mansion built in the late 18th century and an estate that at one time included 25,000 acres. After leaving the park I was quickly surrounded by suburbia. The homes around here are actually pretty modest considering the beauty of the wooded hills and the close proximity to "civilization".
Whatever your feelings about the effect of damns on an ecosystem - they can create incredibly beautiful spaces. Especially on a day like today where the sun was shining on the snow covered hills and icy inlets of the irregularly shaped reservoir. I passed the huge damn - which was originally built in 1881 and made my way to busy Manor Road. The only negative part of this run was the lack of a shoulder on the roads and the aggresiveness of the locals. They didn't seem to be used to a runner suddenly appearing as they came around corners at 50 mph. A couple of times I jumped into the snow rather than risking being clipped by a car.
After climbing a hill for a mile I reached a slightly undulating plateau populated by expansive farms of every kind. Most of my life I've lived in cities, but I've always enjoyed escaping them when I can. I find it almost impossible to be in a bad mood when I'm surrounded by the beauty of the natural world.
This week marks the first time since September that I've run at least 80 miles in a week. I actually feel pretty good. Next week is the always competitive Club Challenge 10 miler in Columbia. I feel pretty good about our chances. Two years ago I was out of shape - last year I was sick - here's hoping that third time's a charm.

Last Week
Monday morning: 4 miles
Monday evening: 6 miles
Tuesday: 8 miles
Wednesday morning: 4 miles
Wednesday evening: 11 miles I pace = 9.1 mph on treadmill w/ 6.0% incline 1 min I pace 1 min easy 2 min I 1 min easy 3 min I 2 min easy 4 min I 3 min easy 3 min I 2 min easy 3 min I 2 min easy 2 min I 1 min easy 2 min I
Thursday: 10 miles
Friday: 6 miles
Saturday: 14 miles 5X ~2mi @ T pace
Sunday: 17 miles
Total: 80 miles

Next Week
Monday: 9 miles
Tuesday morning: 4 miles
Tuesday Evening: 11 miles 3X(1mile I pace with 4-min jogs) + 3X(1k I pace with 2-min jogs)
Wednesday: 10 miles
Thursday morning: 4 miles

Thursday evening: 10 miles 4X200m 2X400m 1X800m 2X400m 4X200m all at R pace all with jog same as last interval
Friday: 10 miles
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 16 miles Club Challenge 10 miler
Total: 80 miles

1 comment:

Christy said...

" . . . And you think you're too old or too smart or too dumb . . ."
Love your title.