Sunday, January 24, 2010

Metamorphosis

In some ways this is my favorite part of the training cycle. I can start to feel the subtle changes associated with getting back into shape. The extra pounds around my waist are starting to disappear - I feel a little more confident on my hard workouts and most importantly, I'm sore. Some people might see soreness as a sign that you're getting pushing your body beyond what it can handle - but, really it's all a part of the process. The metamorphosis to top running shape is less like Teen Wolf, where he is just is weirded out as he notices hair starting to grow on his hands, and more like The Hulk where the change seems to be painful - as if something has exploded from within him.
Next week will be my first week over 70 miles since the week of JFK. I've found that 70 miles a week is the low end of what I need in order to be in "race shape." There is a predictable rhythm to a 70 mile week - one two-a-day, hour long easy runs, a 4 mile recovery day, and two-hour long run at the end of the week.
It will be interesting to see how my track workout goes on Tuesday - I ran the same workout a few weeks ago in not so great conditions. This weekend I will most likely run a 10 mile race in DC as either a tempo or an escalation run.

Last Week
Monday: 7 miles
Tuesday: 10 miles 3mi (17:24) 3 min rest 2mi (11:10) 2min rest 1 mi (5:30)
Wednesday: 7 miles
Thursday : 8 miles
Friday: 13.5 miles 5X(2min hard 1min jog 1min hard 30sec jog 30sec hard 30sec jog)
Saturday: 6 miles
Sunday: 17 miles
Total: 68.5 miles

This Week
Monday: 9 miles
Tuesday morning: 4 miles
Tuesday evening: 11 miles 4 X (200m R pace 200m jog + 200m R pace 400m jog + 800m R pace 400m jog)
Wednesday: 8.5 miles
Thursday : 12 miles hills
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday: 17 miles 8 mi T pace DC race
Sunday: 9 miles
Total: 74.5 miles

1 comment:

RM said...

Comment #1: Ben references The Hulk and Teen Wolf. Way to date yourself Ben. You should have said something like "the sexy vampires of Twilight"

Comment #2: Something explodes from inside of me once or twice per hour