Sunday, February 15, 2009

Phase 4: Week 1 of 5

Last week was mostly about recovery. The USATF XC race last week took a something out of my legs - but, more concerning was how wearing XC spikes for 12k enflamed my plantar faciitis. The first 10-15 minutes of running was pretty painful for me all week - so, I decided to skip my first planned hard workout of the week. Given the amount of training I have yet to go and that my second workout on Saturday was more important for marathon training, I wasn't too disappointed.

The next four weeks are key to how I will perform at Boston. Between now and March15th, I plan on averaging 99 miles per week, with a high of 110, four runs over 20 miles, seven runs between 14-19 miles, 3 hill workouts, 6 tempo or interval workouts, and no days off. My new cold bath treatment facility (large rubber trash can in our guest bathtub) will be important to keep my legs fresh.

Last week
Monday morning: 4 miles
Monday evening: 7.5 miles
Tuesday morning: 4 miles
Tuesday evening: 8.5 miles
Wednesday: 0 miles
Thursday: 12 miles hills
Friday morning: 4 miles
Friday evening: 8.5 miles
Saturday: 18 miles 2 mi easy 4X1 mi (5:41;5:28;5:34;5:29) with 1 min rest 7 mi easy 3 mi T pace (16:48 - splits 5:37;5:38;5:32) 2 mi easy
Sunday: 10.5 miles
Total: 77 miles

This week
Monday morning: 6 miles
Monday evening: 7.5 miles
Tuesday morning: 4 miles
Tuesday evening: 10 miles 6X1000 @ I pace 3 min rest
Wednesday: 15 miles
Thursday: 12 miles hills
Friday morning: 4 miles
Friday evening: 10 miles 8X100m
Saturday: 8.5 miles
Sunday: 20 miles 6 mi easy 10 mi escalation (Club challenge) 4 mi easy
Total: 97 miles

4 comments:

alyssa said...

how do you do your hill workouts around here? I get stuck when I can't get out to the trails for hills.

Ben said...

I usually go to druid hills park - there are a few hills on the road (closed to cars) that's between the zoo and 83. There's also a hill near robert e. lee park that we run in the summer - and a really nasty long hill closer to mount washington, off falls road (you'll have to ask ryan - i can't remember the name of the street). congrats on the PR!

also, if you were wondering, marty isn't due until the end of may - and will be taking clients until the beginning of may.

RM said...

Alyssa, the name of the streets are:

Hollins (which is the hill in Robert E Lee, runs up to Lake)

Bellemore (on Falls, runs up to Roland)

And then there are a few others in Mt Wash that are long and hard. Bellemore and Hollins are pretty long and steep.

BG said...

I used to get my hills in in the winter on Gun Rd. It's the street 200m downhill on the right from where we usually park for Patapsco. I don't think there's a bigger hill around (with barely any cars on it). I used to run it a few times in the evening when it was dark out, but daytime would be fine, too.