Sunday, April 18, 2010

Winding Down

This spring season is coming to a close for me. But - it doesn't quite feel like the end of a training cycle. The gravity of this year is pulling me toward October before we reach May. My last race of the year is the Apple Blossom Festival 10k - but, to be honest I'm looking forward to the festival more than the race in some ways.
Right now running is mostly about exploring for me. Today I decided to use my long run to check out the Candy Land sounding Apple Pie Ridge Road. The land around Winchester is full of Apple Orchards (thus the Apple Blossom Festival) - at one time it supposedly was the largest Apple growing region on the world (no kidding). This area above Winchester to the northwest had apple orchards since before the Civil War. Just outside the city limits the road starts to climb - there are big houses on 5-10 acre lots. Eventually I came to the top of the ridge where I could see the Blue Ridge to the east and the Allegenies to the west. On my way back into town I ran beside fenced in fields where horses and cows were munching on grass. At one point two calves jumped up when they saw me and started running along the fence - as if they were playing with me. A little different then Baltimore.

Last Week
Monday: 7 miles
Tuesday Morning: 4 miles
Tuesday Evening: 8 miles 3X (600m I pace 1 min rest 400m I pace 30 sec rest 200m I pace 30 sec rest) (1:53.7, 73.3, 37.6, 1:49.5, 74.6, 35.6, 1:50.5, 72.1, 36.3)
Wednesday: 9.5 miles
Thursday: 10 miles 2X2 mi + 1 mi @ T pace
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday: 12 miles
Sunday: 17 miles
Total: 71.5 miles

Next week
Monday: 7 miles
Tuesday Morning: 4 miles
Tuesday Evening: 9 miles 4X(200m R pace with 200m jogs) + 3X(1k I pace with 2-min jogs) + 2X(400m R pace with 400m jogs)
Wednesday: 8 miles
Thursday: 10 miles 5 mi @ T pace
Friday: 4 miles
Saturday: 12 miles 4X(1 mile @ T pace with 3-min jogs) + 6X(200m R pace with 200m jogs) + 2 mi acceleration run increases 5 xec per 300m with last 400m interval pace
Sunday: 13 miles
Total: 67 miles

No comments: